BLOG - Krishna Vattam

Sunday, April 06, 2008

On a search mission in Karanji

I went to the zoo the other day on a search mission; to locate a mango I had planted by the Karanji Lake some 22 years back. The occasion then was a tree-planting programme the Karnataka Zoo Authority had organized. And I was invited to plant a sapling, along with the then chairman and divisional commissioner Puranik and the zoo executive director C D Krishne Gowda.

While the others planted whatever sapling that was handed down to them by zoo officials, I was choosy about mango. It was in search of this mango that I made the recent trip to the zoo. It was a FORT-Mysore colleague GVK who talked me into looking for the tree I had planted so long ago. It would make a great post for our blog, he said. He even offered to come with me, and help me take a photo of my mango at the zoo. I chose to go on my own,just in case it turned out to be a dry run.

First I had to make sure if the tree was there.I informed my old friend, zoo manager Shivanna, about my desire to locate my ‘sapling’. He welcomed the idea, but he was not sure if it had survived. A pleasant surprise awaited us when we reached the spot. What I had planted has grown to be a big tree, conspicuous in the groove for its spread; its long branches overshadowed the other trees. I stood there gazing at my tree in sheer joy. As I shared my thoughts an accompanying Karanji official Nagaraj mentioned that the tree yielded delicious badami. He added that they do not pluck the mangoes,but leave them on the tree for birds and monkeys. A noble idea.

As I fixed my gaze on the tree, my thoughts went back to school days when I had read Rabindranth Tagore’s Kabuliwala. The trader in the story, from Kabul, spent months away from home travelling in India to sell dates. The Kabuliwala , on his visits to Calcutta came in contact with a “little girl”...after years of absence (in jail) he returned, to be overwhelmed with emotions on seeing his 'little one' grown up as a beautiful woman. She reminded Kabuliwala of his own daughter back home, in Kabul. Well, I some such feelings at Karanji. Seeing my ‘sapling’, after over two decades, reminded me of the grown up woman in the story.

I had not visited Karanji in a long while. Besides it had not occurred to me to look for my tree till now. Those days, when we held our monthly zoo authority meetings on the lakeside there was not as much of tree cover as we find today. We must thank the zoo authority and its employees for the transformation. The whole environ is serene. For book lovers and bird-watchers it is an ideal spot. What with well laid out granite benches facing the lake, and coffee available at kiosk, the setting is fantastic, simply.

As I stood in front of the mango tree I felt humble. Who am I to claim it as my tree, merely because I had planted it. The credit must truly go to the gardeners and others at the lake who looked after it.Above all it is the Mother Nature that nourished, with maternal care, the sapling as it grew into a tree. I couldn’t help folding my hands in gratitude to such Nature’s creation before heading home.

Cross-posted in FORT-Mysore, a tree-lovers blog.

5 Comments:

  • wonderful sir it is simply amazing.
    it is really a greatest moment for you to see a sappling planted two decades back blossoming into a beautiful tree and yeilding mangoes and best part is it is left to birds and monkeys by the authorities. It is agreat gesture for the mother nature and our co habitants
    kudos to you sir for making all this happen and your committment is simply great
    pranesh

    By Blogger praneshachar, at 11:29 PM  

  • sir,i first thank you for taking the trobule to see my blog & then thank you for leaving your valuable advice behin.
    your ability to put forth your feelings
    & views in wors has left me mesmerized. i request you to please read my blog an leve behin your comments so i can learn to become the aspiring writer you are.
    --DEEPTI RAGHURAM

    By Blogger Lakshmi Bharadwaj, at 5:05 AM  

  • dear Pranesh.Thank you for your comment.I am much delighted over your interest in matters relatin g to ecology and environment.By the bye your surname is very familiar to me.In Bellary where I was born and grew up there was a Kadalbal family , if memory is correct, in Satyanarayanapet which was predominantly a Madwa Brahmin area.
    Pranesh You are from Hospet or Holasupet , once I wrote an article in Deccan Heralad.Hampi was my second home and on my way to Hampi I used to pass through Hospet.Besides I used to invariably attend the Hampi Festival.Pranesh although it is over four decades ago I came ovedr t o Mysore to serve as Reporter in Deccan Herald, I have not been able to over come my abding sentimental attachemnt to Bellary and Hampi>People ask me as to whyu I have names my small house in Mysore as Malahari.I tell you it is the name of raga,in which Purandaradasa composed Lambodaralakumikala and kereyaneeranna Kerege challi.the first raga and composition in which the learners in Carnatic music are initiated.Malahari relates to my association wit h Hampi, where Purandara lived.Who knows I might have been the contemporary of this Dasa srestaru in a generation in which Purandara lived.Well where do you live? Regards Krishna Vattasm

    By Blogger Krishna Vattam, at 7:57 AM  

  • I found your comment in reply to Kadalabal just as interesting as your post - your sentimental attachment to past moments and places is touching.

    By Blogger RAJI MUTHUKRISHNAN, at 11:32 PM  

  • sir you are right we had our family in bellary too where my fathers uncle sri raghavendrachar kadlabal used to stay in sathynarayanpet II cross he was auditor, my father was a advocate in hospet and he used to practice in bellary courts also coming from hospet both of them are not there now. one my cousin kadlabal/koti ramachar was also there in snpet. he was also teaching in taranath college and he was a municipal doctor who was presdient of municipal workers association for the whole state.
    now I live in bangalore for the last 18 years and also read your grand daughter blog. I work for BEL as dgm finance. would love to meet you sometime let us see
    with affectionate regards I read your comments now only and making an immediate reply hope you will read it love to have your mail id too
    with warm regards once again

    pranesh

    By Blogger praneshachar, at 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home