BLOG - Krishna Vattam

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Vattam's encounter with the collector

Fellow journalist Vicent D'Souza has a knack of presenting a commonplace incident with a sense of witticism. In a post in his blog Mr D'Souza speaks about conservancy inspectors, and refers to people, answering nature’s call behind EP box, under the avenue tree or at the wall. ”I shout at them so loudly they are forced to stop free flow midway and scamper. I am not sure it was bad for kidneys ------“

As I read this post my thoughts went back to my boyhood days. When I was 8- 10 years at native Bellary I used to go out for nature’s call. We didn't have proper toilet at home. One day as I was settling down behind some shrubs the district collector, returning home after morning stroll, along with his wife, spotted me . He stopped, picked up a stone, and flung it at me. He was left-handed; would have been a good bowler, had he taken to cricket, judging from his throw.

Cricket wasn't on my mind; my concern, then, was about dodging the collector's stone. Hurriedly , I got up, with buttock uncovered, holding my knicker with left hand, I ran towards home , leaving behind my chembu. After assuring myself that the collector was well out my sight, I went back to the shrubs to complete my unfinished business. From next day, I changed my timings so as to evade the passing collector.

Well, if you were travelling in Howrah Express from Madras, you would not have missed villagers in rows, smoking cheap cigars , squatting along the track, unmindful of passing trains.When I narrated this incident to my grand-daughter recently, she exclaimed 'thoo, thoo, shame, shame thata' . I thought that it was the best way to illustrate the change that has taken place during the last six decades, although several villages and slums in metros have dwellings that lack toilet facilities.

Some NGOs, with government help, are working to bring about changes in Karnataka. Yet, there are village old-timers who prefer the great outdoors. Old habits die hard.

2 Comments:

  • collector may have all facilities at his bunglow he must have seriously thought about the needs of people and acted. anyhow happy u escaped unhurt and tactfully avoided and back to business when he is out of sight. yes I agree with you there are changed have taken place in villages too awareness is coming people have changed but still there is large chunk who can not afford when they can meet their two meals requirements where is the Q of going for other things for them open ground is all that is avilable to finish their nature calls.
    glad to know u r from bellary sir and I am from hospet. now in bangalore for 18 years.
    praneshachar

    By Blogger praneshachar, at 3:06 PM  

  • Dear vattam,

    These things remind me of our ancient chores of nature.You should have added that the modern lavatory system designed by an english man is only a few hundred years old. Remember, our lives have been influenced by them, including our national congress.
    Even in Roman times there were ppublic toilet bars with potty holes where political decisions were made.POTTY ALWAYS WON.
    Look at the famous Akbar and Birbal's story.
    Akbar once asked his ministers'what brings them the ut most happiness?'One said 'Winning a battle and dragging the defeated.'Next one said 'winning the favor of a beautiful damsel'.Third one said 'finding a treasure of lakhs and lakhs'.Then came Birbal's turn. Birbal said 'Your honour,One gets the utmost happiness, when one relieves of onself from the misery of constipation'.
    Satyanna, ur old friend.Write to me.
    mssaty@hotmail.com



    Even in roman times there were public toilets with no doors and only holes for potty and of course,POLITICS.
    POTTY always wins. Look at Akbar and Birbal's story. Once Akbar asked his court ministers 'what gives them the most happiness ? One of his ministers said 'winning the battle and dragging the defeated'. Next one said 'winning the favor of a beautiful dame'.Third one said 'finding the treasure worth lakhs and lakhs'.
    Then came the turn of Birbal. He said " THE BEST HAPPINESS IS WHEN ONE RELIEVES ONESELF FROM THE MISERY OF CONSTIPATION. and you know the rest! Satyanna.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home